Over Memorial Day weekend, I flew to meet with my family for an overdue vacation which lasted a span of 36 hours in Las Vegas.
I took a quick hour and a half flight from San Diego to Vegas and enjoyed staring at the sun while it set among the desert landscape. There’s no greater feeling than that I get from traveling. Even when it’s to Vegas. Ironically enough, I’ve never traveled to Vegas as a 21 year old nor was I ever into the whole “Vegas Night Life” scene. This trip didn’t change that mindset at all, but rather confirmed that that lifestyle just isn’t for me. And I just happened to visit on the same weekend everyone and their moms turnt up!
It’s official. I finally launched my passion project, Coffee & Convos, and I couldn’t be more excited!
It’s crazy to think that last year, this was just an idea. An idea with no real plan or no real direction, just something I wanted to do… Connect with people over coffee and share their story. I remember feeling so strange approaching even my own friends about this thinking they’d think I’m crazy. But luckily, they were all about it and helped be the first to sit down and officially have Coffee & Convos with me.
Lately more so than ever, I’ve channeled so much of my own feelings. And I am not the type of person to even admit I have any. You know, the typical “I like my coffee like the color of my soul, black” type of thing. And as much as it’s a great thing to feel these feelings, it’s also incredibly overwhelming.
So I’ve been MIA on this blog for so damn long, and I’ve avoided even looking at this blog because I felt like a bad person for not keeping up with it. Well, I finally accepted the fact that it’s OKAY. So what if I didn’t post my Weekly Little Wins, and I didn’t share my experiences just yet from my last two trips? It’s all good… Because we shouldn’t have to force anything and good things come in due time! It was actually quite nice to disconnect and keep my focus on just one thing… that thing being Coffee & Convos, especially as we’re closing in on the launch date! But when I see that the last post I shared here was on May 11th, I just think to myself that there’s never enough time.
If there’s one thing I love – it’s aesthetically pleasing bars, restaurants, coffee houses… you name it! If it looks fucking dope, I’m into it! So it’s no wonder why I fell in love with Bar Kindred.
With marbled counter tops, brass accents, and beautiful graphics I couldn’t resist! I’ve only heard a few things here and there about this spot and it wasn’t until I was meeting with a friend I haven’t seen in forever who wanted to go to a restaurant in the same area. Sadly, that restaurant was super packed and we couldn’t stand waiting 2 hours just for a table, so we wandered about and found Kindred. I found the menu to be intriguing, especially because the hostess shared it was all vegan! I’m not vegan, but I loved how they had an extensive menu of things I have not heard of or seen before.
5/02 – 5/08
- Spent my Monday with great company and amazing vibes
- Got brunch with Ian at Snooze – that OMG French Toast, tho!
- Went to stop by and drop off Ian‘s suits to get tailored and I ended up getting a smoothie next door and the gentleman who helped me commented on my tattoos and really loved the mandala Charlie did for me. Turns out he’s going to the same artist!
- Went to get our tattoos done by Justin Dilmore of Even Tide tattoo and finally got our pieces as a tribute to our dear friend, Mark Andrew.
- Hung out with Jaymie and Aaron and indulged in this amazing white sauce pizza and creative vibes! So stoked for what’s in store for us!
- Got brunch the next day with my Mom and brother as an early Mother’s Day outing at Great Maple
- We checked out Liberty Public Market and explored a bit
- Spent the rest of the day recouping and watching Netflix – Started and finished Flaked in a few days! Such a great show!
- Scored some deals from Target #TakeMyMoney
- Grabbed some lunch with Nancy when she stopped by my work at Tender Greens and got some coffee from Pirch
- Had a mini mastermind sesh with Nancy and talked all things creative about her blog and helped with the vision! SO excited for the launch, you guys!
- Got Ian’s Fides Rex swag in the mail all ready to share!
- Caught a showing of Captain America Civil War with Nancy, Vicky, and Johnny! Such a fun time and the movie was AMAZING!
- Did some last minute prep work with my coworkers for our big annual wine event, Uncorked and it was SO fun to see everything come to fruition!
- Met with the amazing Melissa Glaze to catch up at Stone Brewery and talk business. Had some delicious food and talked about a collaboration for Coffee & Convos that I’m super excited to share in the next week or so!
- Got to see Roxy as she helped with a Mother’s Day event for UTC and it was such a great time!
- Uncorked began and got to help with the event and hear all the fantastic things about our guests’ experiences so I was super super stoked! Got to see Nancy and Alison, too! And even got to enjoy some wine with my managers!
- Ended up meeting with my family and finally caught up with cousins I haven’t seen in forever!
- Spent Mother’s Day Morning grabbing some tea and donuts with Nancy and met with CJ at Copa Vida to support Lisa’s HomeBakeshop! Got some delicious baked donuts from her and tried the new matcha tea latte.
- Stopped by Communal Coffee and Native Poppy to check out the new space and LOVED it! Such a neat idea and I love how it caters to anything you may need for yourself or someone else!
- Met with Caitlin Brehm, aka the SEO whisperer, at Heartwork Coffee Bar and got to chatting about anything and everything! She is the absolute sweetest and we ended up trying a neat vegan restaurant, Kindred. We even had some beers and our overall interaction just filled my heart up!
- Met with my parents and grandma for some Mother’s Day festivities and had a blast
It has been one crazy week with one thing after the other, but I couldn’t be more stoked with how life has been lately. It’s true what they say – do good, and good will happen. That’s what I’ve been trying to do and it’s been an amazing experience!
This next week will be nothing short of amazing – gonna go to SF and celebrate Ian’s birthday! So stay tuned, y’all!
Alright, so I realize now that recapping my whole entire trip to Minneapolis from last month seems a bit bizarre this late in the game and plus I would probably rant on and on and on about it. But after going through my archive of photos, I thought would share the highlights of my Minneapolis trip by sharing some of my favorite moments!
I had a blast and I can’t thank Kayla enough for letting me stay with her and show me around, as well as Devan for taking the time to hang out and meet with us! It was my first time traveling to the Midwest and I would definitely go again – for the coffee shop vibes, the creative company, and even the movie reruns of 500 Days of Summer (talking about you, Kayla!).
These past few months have been both insane and awesome, and I haven’t been keeping much track of my favorite things until maybe this past month? I know, bad blogger!
But I’m here to share with you my April Favorites!
Alright, so first and foremost, the hype around sushi burritos is real. It’s basically a large sushi roll you can eat with your hands (think bigger than a hand roll and a bit more unique as far as flavors go). There has been so much hype surrounding these babies ever since Sushiritto in SF opened up and it was only a matter of time before SD caught on the trend. With multiple spots opening around, Pokirritto happens to be one of them!
Nancy and I made a point to go to the Pokirritto Soft Opening this past week since whenever we would go out, we would see the restaurant but it wasn’t open yet, and word on the street was it was their soft opening… And now here we are.