It’s about that time of year again! It feels like the older I get, the more time seems to fly! This past year was no exception. As the last day of 2014, I’d like to take this time to reflect on the things I’ve learned. If you’re curious, you can see what I learned in 2013!
- Never Give Up This past year has definitely tested my will and my patience. And it took a lot of hard work, dedication, and putting myself out there to get to where I am today. I learned to never give up despite all of the hardships I faced and to continue to take more risks. If it wasn’t for my continuous efforts, I wouldn’t be pursuing PR or even blogging. And how crazy would that be!?
- Mistakes Don’t Define Us We’re human and we make mistakes. Although we don’t consciously choose to make mistakes or what happens in our lives, we can decide how we respond to our situation. By accepting what has happened and keeping an open mind with a positive attitude, we can lead a positive life by learning from our mistakes and our growth as individuals. And learning to accept and move on isn’t always easy, but I definitely needed this wake up call.
- Always Leave a Positive Impression No matter what, I’ve learned to stay positive and to leave a lasting impression. People will remember you as being really nice or the opposite. I’d like to be known as the former so I make it a point to always leave a good impression with those I meet – whether it’s personally or professionally. You’ll never know what will come of these interactions with people you meet, so always be kind, stay open minded and leave a positive impression!
- Grown to be Less Materialistic This past year taught me that it’s more about the life experiences, places I’ve traveled, and people I’ve met that leave a lasting impact versus something tangible. Like when I lost my phone, it was a bummer… and I was sad for about 2.5 seconds but it was replaceable. When it comes down to experiences, those are things we can’t replace and that’s what I want to look back on in 10 years knowing that I spent my time wisely creating memories I will remember for a lifetime!
- The Gift of Giving I can’t express the joy I feel when I give to someone. Whether it’s their birthday, a random act of kindness or even giving back to charity. It’s such an amazing feeling to really let people know you care for them with even the smallest gesture like exchanging a compliment to even taking care of the bill. Learning to share my gratitude and acknowledgement with others by giving back has truly helped put my life into perspective and I love it!
- Have Little to No Expectations One thing that always set me up for failure was having expectations – like a planned event or hoping for something specific. Even when it came down to New Year Resolutions in the past year, having expectations let me down. So I learned to slowly let go of harboring expectations and would rather “go with the flow,” something that is so foreign to me since I consider myself the queen of creating plans and itineraries! But it certainly did help when plans would change last minute, and I didn’t feel so disappointed anymore. Less stress and more excitement looking for different opportunities!
- Live a Little This year seemed like a whirlwind of everything happening to me at once! From meeting new people and reconnecting with old colleagues, having new opportunities to better my career path, and trying new things – it’s all been such an amazing journey! And in the midst of all of that, I learned to live a little bit. I learned to take more risks and have some fun. To dance and sing out loud as if no one was watching and to not care what other people think about me. It’s simple, these strangers may never see me again but even if I look silly, at least I left some sort of positive impression on them, right? It was definitely a year of growth for me and I had a lot of fun while doing so!
We have finally reached the end of 2014 and about to start 2015… The suspense and the excitement of what’s to come is already killing me!
Hope you all ring in the New Year with people you love, positivity, and cheer!